Hey everyone! Hope you all had a fab weekend -- maybe venturing out to some Halloween parties? Maybe making some of our great Chowgals recipes for you own Halloween party?? Here at the beach, our biggest Halloween Costume Contest was cancelled because of Hurricane Sandy rain. So that means that we get to dress up for Halloween all over again next weekend!!! YEAHHH!!!
A few days before our weekend Halloween festivities I brought this salad to a friend’s house for dinner and it was a hit! The dressing is tangy and sweet and I love the crispy smoky bacon. Also, cooking the corn in the bacon fat adds depth of flavor!
Israeli Couscous, Corn and Cherry Tomato Salad with Bacon
3 tbsp canola oil
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp EVOO plus 1 tbsp EVOO
2 tbsp honey
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp thyme leaves
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 medium shallot, chopped
salt and pepper
4 oz bacon, diced
1c. israeli couscous
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 handful, fresh chopped parsley
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add 1 tbsp EVOO and israeli couscous and toast, until couscous is golden and fragrant. Add 1 and 1/4 cup water to the pan and bring to a boil. Decrease heat to low, cover and cook for 12 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed and couscous is tender. Transfer to large bowl.
- In a blender, combine canola oil with vinegar, EVOO, honey, lemon juice, thyme, mustard and shallot and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium skillet, cook bacon over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally until golden and crisp, 15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towel lined plate. Pour off all but one tbsp fat.
- Meanwhile, add corn to bacon fat and cook over moderate heat, stirring until tender, 3 minutes. Add corn to couscous.
- Add the tomatoes and bacon to the bowl and toss gently. Add vinaigrette and toss again. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.